Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Myth of 90 Percent: Only a Small Fraction of Guns in Mexico Come From U.S.

With all the talk about the BATFE's "Gunwalker" fiasco, it might be a good time to revisit this Fox News article... published in April, 2009. That's over two years ago, folks. This is not new. The real, factual numbers about U.S sourced guns showing up in Mexico have been around for awhile. It's time that people -- like Eric Holder, for example -- learned these facts. The bottom line: only 17 percent of guns found at Mexican crime scenes have been traced to the U.S.

That means 83% of Mexican crime scene guns have come from places other than the U.S. Very interesting, isn't it? You gotta wonder where these guns really DO come from. You can read the article mentioned above for more detail on that.

With all the swirl and spin going on about this, I'd like to put a few things into perspective. Here's a hypothetical scenario for you to consider:

First of all, you know that the Mexican president is calling on the U.S. to "crack down" on our relatively relaxed gun laws, right? The presumption is that if the U.S. enacts more restrictive gun laws for its citizens, there will be an overall reduction in guns in our country, leading to reduction of guns (and crime) in Mexico. This is further predicated on the assumption that the majority of guns found at Mexican crime scenes come from the U.S. Even at face value, that is a ridiculous assertion. I won't even waste my time dissecting that worthless argument.

That being said, allow me to expand on my hypothetical scenario.

Let's assume that the 2nd amendment didn't exist and the U.S. wasn't really a whole lot different than any other tyrannical country. In this hypothetical America, it would be really difficult for average Americans to own guns (much like it is now in Mexico). Now, let's say at the same time, that Canada had very relaxed gun laws compared with our hypothetical America, and the average Canadian citizen could freely purchase weapons for hunting and protection. If there were a serious crime problem in America where guns were showing up everywhere (despite the draconian gun laws), and it was found that 17% of these guns came across the border from Canada... the other 83% from places like Russia, China, etc. on the black market... does it make any sense for the U.S. government to insist that the Canadian government severely restrict the rights of average Canadian citizens to own guns as a means to reduce American crime? Of course not! That's absurd! As an American in our hypothetical America, would you feel safer in your own country knowing that the average Canadian guy wasn't able to go deer hunting because it was illegal for him to buy a rifle?

As ridiculous as that example is, it's exactly what's going on now between the U.S. and Mexico. This whole "Fast and Furious" boondoggle should help illustrate the absurdity. A lot of people simply accept the false premise that we, as lawful Americans, somehow contribute to Mexican crime. Seems to me that much of the problem with Mexican crime stems from Mexico's own lawlessness and their own restrictive gun laws for their citizens - or perhaps I should say, "subjects". The Mexican government is corrupt. Why should lawful American citizens pay the price?

This has been another helpful nugget of information brought to you by NC SILENCER, a North Carolina based firearm and silencer company.

NC SILENCER: Arming Average Americans Since 2010.

1 comment:

  1. it is possible that 83% could not be traced anywhere and the 90% estimate is bases on the traceable guns.